As entrepreneurs, we are relentlessly faced with selling our business to keep ahead of the curve. It feels like you are eternally pushing a giant stone up a hill. How do you convince a prospect to purchase your products rather than your competitors?
As I was reviewing our social sales reports, I suddenly remembered “The Avon Lady”!
Even though I am dating myself, the Avon Lady was the best example I can think of for sales and social engagement. For those of you who have never been to a representative party, the lady in question would come to your house and present a “show and tell”. You would gather all your friends to try the products. The collection of lipsticks, perfumes and creams filled the room with all kinds of flowery scents. It was a very pleasant feeling and encouraged to buy.
How the Avon Lady Was So Effective:
- She connected with you on a personal level
- She was engaging and wanted to find out your interests
- She built trust by appealing to your needs
- She interested you in her products by having you try them
- Best of all she closed the deal… Why? Because she has created a relationship with you and a need for her products